One of those days

When I woke up I had this wild plan to take the Zero and see how far I could get with it in one day. That’s my life at the moment: when I still have energy I have great plans, but after breakfast I realize it isn’t going to happen. Which is fine in itself as there has been a long time I didn’t have that sort of inspiration at all.

Yesterday I did some experimentation with the Spitfire piece as I had planned, but I probably shouldn’t have touched the FW-190 once it became clear I wasn’t thinking at 100% capacity..

IMG_20170806_131244
I love seeing that big pile of boxes!
IMG_20170806_144246
I am OK with my end of the decal placing which went fine, but the jury is still out on the end result. I used Revell Decal Soft and of course the rivet detail coming through is excellent. I did my best to remove the bubbles that appeared after a while but as you can see the result is just not 100% perfect. Could it be because I didn’t clean the part after letting the clear gloss dry?

The most important picture of my wash experiments is way too dark unfortunately:

IMG_20170806_201845
Still you can probably see that while cleaning the wash off, I actually rubbed off the paint!! To be honest I probably used way too much thinner and applied way, way too much pressure. I hope that’s the only reason and not some reaction by the wash itself.

One of my experiments was trying something with an enamel color which I still had lying around. Seeing the mess I made with it I quickly decided this is absolutely not the way I want to take this hobby. I think probably one of the reasons I am back doing this is how much more accessible things became with acrylic paint and the strong smell and hard work to clean up from a couple of minutes work is just not a fun prospect.. besides:

IMG_20170806_203822
This is just the Lavado wash I have also used for the engine, but I waited a bit longer and then very lightly removed it with a cotton pad with a tiny bit of thinner on it. So yeah, that’s basically your standard practice with thinners isn’t it? Apply and gently rub it off after 20 minutes.. that’s the winner.

Still glad I tried this stuff on this piece instead of wrecking 4 or 5 sets. I still might do that, but I have a little more experience now!

Speaking of wrecking..

IMG_20170806_145846
Idiot.. why on earth did I think it was a good idea to glue on the fragile fuel tank rack? Apparently this is a Dutch proverb: a donkey never hits his head on the same stone twice. Well, it wasn’t the landing gear that broke off so I guess it’s just the same group of stones!
IMG_20170806_144317
While I tried to sand some of the side panel sticking out I broke off the front engine cowling. It wasn’t glued on properly anyway and it looks much better now so I guess I’ve actually didn’t break anything here.

Finally I also applied some filler to the upper part of the wings, and sanded the front a bit more. I am not sure about the filler because I might have destroyed a bit of detail. I am not too  downhearted by this.. typical second kit mistake I would say. I bombed it the first time, and now I did a better job but it’s still not perfect. That’s learning and I accept that.

 

6 comments

  1. Obviously there things you can do to better preserve detail when sanding/filling, or rescribe damaged surfaces. Overall, not bad!

    The decal looks pretty good, pretty much “painted on”. Making sure the surface is clean and stays clear of dust/debris can be a challenge, but will help with some of those unwanted bumps and textures.
    Your wash looks very good. I usually use something with a different thinner (like artists oils) for my washes, it reduces unwanted interaction with the finish. But it looks like you are tweaking your current materials pretty nicely.

    1. When you say it like that I’m thinking I could have maybe just masked the details that I wanted to protect? As for rescribing damaged surfaces: I still need to get a proper tool to do that. I tried a couple of different knifes and I don’t seem to be able to get a result with those.

      I think I will have to do some more testing before applying washes on the FW-190.

      I applied a layer of primer tonight! And I don’t feel the model is wrecked so that’s kind of good I guess.

      1. Yeah masking around an area that will get a lot of surface work is often a good idea.
        For very small engraving I sometimes just use my No11 blade backwards. There are also some specialized engraving tools and templates sold by squadron and several other on-line sources. These are most useful for longer lines or deeper cuts. but I only rarely use mine.
        What I DO use a fair amount of is Dymo label tape. I don’t know if this known in your market? It was an old embossed label maker popular in the 70s and 80s. The refill tape is still sold here at office supply stores. It works extremely well for providing a straight edge on a longer or curving surface.

      2. I don’t even have to think about masking when it comes to paint but I guess applying filler isn’t as much a routine just yet. Good to keep that in mind!
        I’m sure I can get my hands on some of that label tape! I occasionally have to ‘package’ the software that comes with the Dymo Label printer so I’m sure we have that stuff over here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s