The first big part of the paint job is done, and I am happy with it so far.
The first task since last weeks blog was putting a final layer of primer after filling some holes in the fuselage.
After masking off the tail wheel we’re ready to go!
Tuesday-evening it was time to celebrate Sinterklaas‘ birthday, and the old man got me my first armor kit! This is a very cheap and simple kit, which is perfect to give armor a first try! I left home happy..But about an hour after going to bed my girlfriend woke me up with disturbing news.. Unfortunately one of our cats, ‘Dunnie’, died. Not in anyway related to this blog, but he deserves an honorable mention anyway.
He was 16 years old, so a very respectable age for a cat.. still, we are very sad to have to say goodbye.
Anyway, back to modelling. I did the first layer on the underside on Monday. I thought the color would be white, but it is actually light gray. In the Revell world, that would be #371, the same color that I’ve had a horrible time with on the Cargolux Boeing 747-8F. This color seems to dry up really quick, and I have had the same problems last week.
Still, after four layers I am happy with the result:
I really like this technique. It is a lot of work, but filling in the panels is fun and the uneven result is actually very interesting to look at.
There is something I have to take more care with in the future, and that is probably mainly because the black primer shows less details than the gray Tamiya Surface primer I used on the last builds.
There are some parts that could have done with some more sanding, but it just didn’t come out with the black primer. I have done more sanding in between the layers, but it wasn’t enough by the looks of it. I might take another try to correct this, or I might take the lessons to the next kit.
Next up: painting the other side of the plane!