Exhausted

I got off to a good start after the last blog and it didn’t take long to have the engine assembled.. however while attaching the exhaust I already started to have my worries about this step in the instruction manual.

img_20180403_1913184022769136529073806.jpg
It’s clear which part needs to go where, but the exact point the exhaust will need to point to isn’t at all. There was an attempt however.
img_20180327_2126416686643503673197059.jpg
So far so good..
img_20180329_1843063827591655072363805.jpg
I applied black primer, and I dry brushed it with some steel color.. it looked nice, but while dry brushing the first trouble started.img_20180415_1721493164730401381286011.jpg
The exhaust pieces started to come off..img_20180403_1913392433624284956265411.jpg
Since I was having trouble with getting the exhausts back in place, I decided to first place the engine and then try to re-attach the pieces. This would allow me to see where the exhaust ends would have to be.

With hindsight this was optimistic.. obviously I was having a trouble with attaching the exhaust parts before I placed the engine, so I didn’t expect things to magically click into place once it would be seated. My plan was to somehow attach the exhaust ends to the panel sides and not worrying about the fiddly attachments to the engine. This is easier said than then as it turns out..

I think the big mistake I made was using the good old TAT to attach these parts to the engine.. I use the stuff most of the time, but Revell Contact does not melt the plastic, and would have given me the chance to re-attach them when I made a mistake.

What I am left with now is a few exhaust parts with melted ends. Since I can forget about attaching them to the engine I don’t mind about that too much, and I just want to focus on letting the ends stick out of the panel holes in a good looking way.

There is a chance I might give this model a rest right now and pick the Cargolux B747 back up. But when I do decide to continue I will have to try again to attach the exhaust ends at the panel holes.  It is the only way I can think of to pull this off..

Advertisements