And winter is the best time for building! I’ve been thinking about it for a few days and today was a nice rainy day for it!
Since my last blog, I’ve been on vacation and started a new job which took some time and especially energy. Because of that, it’s been a while since I used liquid mask on the canopy..
I’ve applied this more than a month ago, and I am not sure if that will have an effect on the clear parts.. thankfully while looking for my rotating painting stand I came across a box full of left-overs from my first attempt at this kit, and so I have some spare clear parts should that be required! The bad news would be the masking set would have been a waste, so obviously I hope the original part will be fine when I remove the masking tape.
Since it has been a few weeks when I last used it, I decided to first give my airbrush some love and once again turn some things around on my desk.
At the end of the day (literally) I can say I haven’t even used it today, but hopefully I’ll have energy the coming days.
I have to admit masking off the underside was a bit challenging.. I’ve been messing around with masking tape the last weeks, but wasn’t happy with the result and ripped it all off. I finally settled with using the gear bay door to mask the bay off, which is sort of its job anyway..
Time will tell how good a job this has done. Presumably not a perfect job, but I’ll look at the damage when the time comes.
For primer, I decided to take the quick and dirty option and use Tamiya Surface Primer straight from the can.. I’ll be completely honest here: I just can’t be bothered right now to de-can it.
I actually have some bad experience with applying it straight from the can, but I hope that experience will keep me from making the same mistakes.
I applied it in two light layers, seperatly on the above and underside.
A bit of a weird result after applying the first layer: a lot of dust particals seemed to have appeared from nowhere and have been only applied on the right wing. I used a dishcloth and some UMP airbrush cleaner to clean up before applying the last layer. The UMP airbrush cleaner is not too aggresive, and it did a nice job.
I applied the last layer about an hour ago, and the can is now empty.. which is the end of applying primer straight from the can. I have enough alternatives from UMP: black, gloss black and white. Probably more than I can go through the next years!
This build is progressing nicely although very slowly obviously. The next steps presumably are:
-Sand the body and get the imperfections out.
-Airbrush the body in the livery I want. I’ve decided on the standard No. 416 Royal Canadian Air Force which is included in the kit.
-Prime and paint all the remaining parts.
-Decide if I want to fit bombs.
Plenty of work still to be done!