I am pretty happy with developments since writing the last blog where I wrote about my perfectionism and about how it kept me dropping the hobby again and again.
After that blog, the first thing I did was clean up my desk and sort out my tools and paint. It’s not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I can work in it and find stuff. That’s half the fun of building, right?
I don’t have any answers for perfectionism, but what I do know is that I enjoyed my first build even though I made plenty of mistakes. I even was of the mind to throw in the towel at some point, but I kept going after putting it all away for a few hours. And I think there is a huge clue there for me, because the main thing was that it was the only kit I was working on, and the only reason I have so many unfinished kits now is that I keep running away from my mistakes by starting new kits.
It all started going wrong with the I-16.. Or actually with a CargoLux 747-8F that I threw out. That kit is probably burned somewhere on a pile of trash, so we don’t talk about that here at dutchscalemodels.com… Back to the I-16, the last thing I did was trying to fit the awful exhaust construction, many moons ago.
I do not like the instructions here, and I can only guess which part should go where exactly.
Whatever.. it’s time to continue because that is what all of this is about!
I faced my exhaust/unfinished kit demons and I am pretty happy with the result!
Unfortunately, I did lose one of the pipes in the process. Working with tweezers somehow always is a risk for me and especially for the smallest parts. I seem to pinch too hard so they fly across the room, never to be seen again. The good news is, it’s one of the pipes at the bottom end of the engine. No one will know.
Well, now you know, and perhaps it would be in your best interest to look over your shoulders more often for the rest of your life. Of course I’m just kidding. Or.. am I? Obviously I am, because this is a modelbuilding blog and not a meth lab.
The even better news is: I don’t care too much about losing that part. At first I had the idea to probably turn this kit into a sort of wreck to serve in a diorama. I can still make it part of a diorama of course, but right now I feel I sort of saved it from destruction.
I am not out of the woods yet though! At some point, we’re going to have to mask those exhaust parts off to be able to prime and color the fuselage. I am skeptical of these parts being able to survive that. Not sure how I will make that work, but we’ll pass that bridge when we get to it.
I haven’t even taken a look at the instructions to see what the next step would be, but I feel relieved that I know this is the project I am finishing first now!